Loading...
MIN 04.26.2016 CC-WMinutes of a Meeting of the Governing Body of the City of Georgetown, Texas Tuesday, April 26, 2016 The Georgetown City Council will meet on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM at the Council Chambers, at 101 E. Th St., Georgetown, Texas The city of Georgetown is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you require assistance in participating at a public meeting due to a disability, as defined under the ADA, reasonable assistance, adaptations, or accommodations will be provided upon request. Please contact the City Secretary's Office, at least four (4) days prior to the scheduled meeting date, at (512) 930-3652 or City Hall at 113 East 81, Street for additional information; TTY users route through Relay Texas at 711. Mayor Ross called the meeting to order at 3:04 PM. All Councilmembers were in attendance with the exception of Tommy Gonzalez, District 7, who arrived at 4:28 PM. Policy Development/Review Workshop — Call to order at 3:04 PM A. Presentation, Discussion and Possible Direction on the Schematic Design for San Gabriel Park — Kimberly Garrett, Parks and Recreation Director, Laurie Brewer, Assistant City Manager, and Barbara Austin, RVi Kimberly Garrett, the City's Director of Parks and Recreation, began the presentation. She spoke on the schematic design for Stages 1 and 2 of the San Gabriel Park Improvement Project. Garrett explained that the presentation would include design, process, phasing and costs and the long range schedule. Barbara Austin, of RVi showed that the process includes: 2008 Parks Master Plan Site Analysis and Geologic Study Program with Public Input Meetings Master Plan — City Council & Parks Boards Presentations in June 2015 Schematic Design Phase 1 & 2 — October 2015 Contract, February 2016 Surveys Parks Board, April 14, 2016 City Council —This Day Austin spoke on the Projected Phases of the Master Plan and the proposed schedule for the process of Phase 1 through completion. Austin explained that RVI will be back in front of Council again in December of this year to award a contract for the construction of Phase 1. Construction would start right after the first of the year and see completion in 2017. Austin showed an image of the Master Plan and its projected phases and an image of the Site Analysis. Austin spoke on the uniqueness of the two rivers and the City wide overall trail system in the park. She spoke on the wide variety of uses in the park. She spoke on the unique factor of the springs in the park. Austin pointed out that the blue line in the image represented the 100 year flood plain, which proposes some restrictions when planning. Austin explained that the entire plan was to make things more organized without increasing impervious cover. Nathan Quiring from Clayton and Little Architects spoke. He provided portraits and spoke on materials and stone to be used in the proposed project. He spoke on the importance of keeping with the natural elements of the area and how the look should be appropriate, facilitate and be durable, long lasting and provide low maintenance. Quiring provided images of the proposed pavilions, restrooms and trails. He spoke on the springs and showed before and after pictures of the project. Quiring then explained the BBQ Pavilion, Plaza and Event Lawn. He spoke on rain and sun protection which has been figured into the structures and also spoke on lighting and views adjacent to trees and open space. Chris Lalich with RVi spoke next on the overall layout of the park. He said it is important to remember that people have real connection to their parks. Lalich said they will want to preserve the elements that mean something to people but provide better organization to the park. Lalich showed the schematic design map with the trail system and the internal trail system. He showed parking and pavilion proposals and how things have been better put together to better facilitate. He explained the importance of taking care of the springs and trees and that there will be no more tree loss. Lalich showed the arena and what it will look like in the future. He said that structures have been put in place to slow traffic as it enters the park. Lalich explained that serious runners and walkers will have a great opportunity. He showed before and after images of the parking area and explained the improvements necessary to improve ADA access. Areas for stretching and bicycle parking have also been considered. Lalich described the play-scape location and said that it was focused on adventure and provided an interpretive element, with lots of climbing and rope swinging. Lalich showed before and after pictures of the springs and showed the bluffs west of the springs. He explained how pavilions had been oriented in better directions, providing great gathering spots that are more nature oriented. Hesser asked if there will be power for fireworks. Lalich said that power will be put on each of the pavilions instead. Lalich spoke on a half -court basketball court with the possibility of more in the future. He then spoke regarding the existing community center. He said since a road runs right through this area, they will need to remove the current impervious cover and get the area corrected which will help the unhealthy trees currently being affected. Lalich explained that event space could be placed here. In the future the City could have much larger events here. It is a center piece for the entire park. Lalich said that, in the future, a splash pad could be placed here and that the skate park works better closer to the event center or festivals. Lalich then explained phasing and reviewed phase one. He explained restoration for Phase 1 and said that Phase 2 is in the balance. Kimberly Garrett explained the long range schedule for the park improvements. She provided a detailed estimate of costs for each phase and provided a chart showing the issued debt and tax year impact and its relationship to the design and construction schedule. Garret said the areas for stage 3 and stage 4 would still need to be surveyed. Fought asked when Phase 1 will start. Garrett explained that the City is already in Phase 1 and design development is starting soon. Fought asked what the original plan was. Garrett said there was no exact plan in 2008 just the funding discussion. Morgan said this is what was discussed last summer. He said Phase 1 and Phase 2 have been discussed by the Council and based on Council's previous feedback, Phase 3 and Phase 4 schedules are being developed. Fought asked if there is an advantage to accelerating or stretching it out. Morgan said the City has the funding and has already established Phase 1, because the timing regarding the show barn. He said the other phases could be looked at again. Morgan would recommend accelerating Phase 2 and then to go slow with Phase 3 and 4. He agreed that the impact to park users is a big consideration and that the County needs to have time to make decisions also. Gipson asked about Phase 4. He asked if a study has been conducted regarding revenue generating pieces to the development, such as ball parks. Gipson said it might be smart to move forward with portions of the project that could be revenue generating. Ross said it would be wise to look at financial impacts. He said he is not in favor of shutting down the park and asked if it is reasonable to get everything done by 2020 or 2021. Morgan said staff would accelerate a master plan and bring it to Council. Morgan said there is a financial impact of Phase 4 with income from ball fields. Morgan said the City would need to be careful with Garay Park happening at the same time. Brainard asked how many trees would be lost. The architect confirmed that no trees will be lost. Garrett said trees will actually be added. Brainard said some of the restrooms need to be destroyed. Garrett agreed and said only the newest restrooms would remain. Brainard asked if the new pavilions would have dirt floors. Garret said the floors would be hard surfaced. Brainard said the City needs a full basketball court. Brainard asked about the rodeo arena. Garrett said the lease will be up in 2017 and they will be celebrating their 75th year anniversary event in 2018. Garrett said the show barn lease is up 2072 and the City is working with County on this. Jonrowe said the five year plan is a good one, as long as there is not too much construction happening at any one time. Mayor Ross asked Garret if any Parks and Recreation Advisory Board members were present. Garrett introduced Mr. Glenn Holzer. Ross thanked Holzer for his time and talent. Morgan spoke on the fireworks and said staff would specifically look at this for this summer. Hesser agreed that more basketball courts are needed and also agreed with Gipson on the revenue stream. B. Garay Park Design Development presentation and update - - Kimberly Garrett, Parks and Recreation Director, Laurie Brewer, Assistant City Manager, and Brian Binkowski, Halff Associates Kimberly Garrett, the City's Director of Parks and Recreation, began the presentation. She explained how the Gary Park project had a multitude of people working on it, including Mr. Garay, his son Glen, Parks and Recreation staff, Parks and Recreafion Advisory Board members, Halff Associates, the architects, Populous for the equestrian and Jim Rogers, the Parks Development Consultant. Garrett gave an update on the Park Development: Funding Plan Development Schedule Elements of Park Development Garrett explained the Funding Plan: City Debt Issued from 2008 Referendum Spring 2016 - $3 M — Impacts 2017 fiscal year tax rate Spring 2017 — Amortize bond to impact tax rate over two fiscal years, impacting 2018 and 2019 City funding for construction $8.5 M Mr. Jack Garay contribution for construction $5 M Brian Binkowski of Halff Associates spoke on the Garay Park Design Project. Binkowski showed the development schedule: March 2016 Design Development presented to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board April 2016 Design Development presented to the City Council July 2016 Complete Construction Documents, Regulatory Permitting, Solicit for Bids September 2016 Construction Begins Late 2017 Construction Complete — Park Opens Binkowski showed an aerial view of active areas. The park entry, play area, dog ranch, trails, equine facility and covered arena, with tie downs for horses, pavilions, splash pad, host house and maintenance house were displayed. He explained that the existing Garay house will be the event venue. Binkowski said that there will be three camping areas: retreat area rentals, group camping (scout troops or larger groups), and primitive camping sites. The park will be 525 acres. Binkowski said they do not want to upset anything that is original to the property. Binkowski showed a map of the event center and an image of the Forum Amphitheater. Jonrowe asked if this would be used by people who already own horses or could it allow a facilitator who could provide lessons etc. to those who do own horses. She said she would like to provide the experience for all. Ross asked how many cars can park at the covered arenas. Binkowski answered approximately 180 parking spaces are available, with 10 parking spaces directly in front of the arena. He said that there will be a lot of flexible space there. Ross compared the Rock Arena and said he would like to provide parking for those type of large events. Binkowski said that special use permit areas would be considered on a case by case, but there is plenty of parking available. Binkowski explained an area that will be named "Heritage of Gold" in honor of Mr. Garay's favorite horse. This area provides trails down to the San Gabriel River and would be ideal for extreme zip line activities. He said that the overall playground area is 2 acres and showed a view of the Garey Play Ranch area entry and a view of the playground area. Binkowski said that the Heritage of Gold Pavilion will have interpretive plaques with explanations of significant information about the ranch and its history. Binkowski showed the event area and spoke on the conversion. He likes that it will have a more formal feeling because of the intended use there. He said that the amphitheater will seat 600 comfortably and is up on a hill, allowing for larger events. Hesser asked about overflow parking in this area for larger events. Binkowski said there is plenty of overflow parking and from the house to the amphitheater is 500 feet. He then showed an image of the existing 5,000 square foot house and spoke on the pool conversion to a dance floor for wedding events. He said that the vehicular court will be converted to a parking lot. Binkowski showed how the house will be used, including office space upstairs, a warming kitchen and many amenities. He said it has been kept as an intimate space. Jonrowe asked if these pavilions provide function. Binkowski said they are more aesthetic. He said the architecture fits the look and feel of the Garay house. Binkowski then showed the group ramping area and explained that the pavilion would house a common shower facility He showed a view of the cabins and gathering space and then showed the retreat cabin area. Nine cabins are currently programmed, while more could be added at another time. These cabins accommodate 4 occupants per cabin and are revenue generating. Binkowski displayed the Opinion of Construction Costs: Equestrian Facilities Garay Play Ranch Garay Dog Ranch Open Play Area Event Area/Meadow/Day-use Retreat Camping Group Camping Primitive Camping Park Entry/Gate House Maintenance Facility/Host House Civil Infrastructure (roads, parking, drainage, utilities) Trails/Wayfinding Contingency 10% Total Design Development (Today's Dollars): $13.5 M Jonrowe thanked everyone for the presentation and asked about the pedestrian trails and their level of difficulty. The architect answered that the pedestrian trails are not difficult and added that there are 5 miles of equestrian trails. He added that the park has hiking trails but they are not meant to be bike trails. Binkowski then spoke on the topographic changes. Jonrowe asked if camping options would be expanded as in the primitive parking and if there were plans for water hook ups. Binkowski said there are no plans for RV hook ups and the area is intended for day use only. Gipson asked about the entry and if it is safe. Binkowski said there was a traffic impact analysis conducted and there will be signal modifications later on — probably 2018. He said that turn lanes were not determined to be necessary. He said that the discussed signalized intersections are coming soon at nearby intersections. Gipson asked about the amphitheater and if it would be able to handle local school graduations, etc. Gipson said there is a big need for this and asked if GISD had been brought into the conversations. Garrett said they have not heard of this, but she could look into it. Gipson said this could be another revenue source. Morgan said he would speak to GISD regarding this. Ross asked about the budgeted amount. Garrett said that $8.5M would come from 2008 bonds and Mr. Garay would be providing the other $5M. Eby asked if river access would be provided. The architect said a loop trail is there but there is not river access currently. He said a future phase could include this and added that the active flow there is extreme. Eby asked how many Parks and Recreation employees would be stationed here. Garrett said that it was determined to need 7 employees at the gate house. Brainard said he is also concerned about the road and safety. He said he would strongly encourage a turn lane into Garay Park. Brainard asked how many trees will be removed. Binkowski said no heritage trees are affected by the development. C. Review of the City's Fiscal & Budgetary Policy and discussion of recommended changes for FY2017 -- Leigh Wallace, Finance Director Leigh Wallace, the City's Finance Director, began the presentation. Provided the annual update and explained that this will be used to guide the budget process. Wallace showed the administrative changes: Order policies according to a logical flow Simplify language Updates to match internal procedures Convert Chief Financial Officer Language to Finance Director Update fiscal year or calendar year Correct grammar and spelling Add table of contents and page numbers Wallace showed Substantive Changes with included: Update Employee Compensation Program Update Reserves for Self -Insurance Fund Establish Economic Uncertainty Reserve in the General Fund Enhance requirement for quarterly financial reporting Add reporting of expenditures Add list of unfunded liabilities Remove reporting of minor surplus property sales Separate reporting of internal audits Jonrowe asked about the timing of internal audits. Wallace said she would look into this and report back to Council. D. Review of the City's Investment Policy and discussion of recommended changes for FY2017 -- Leigh Wallace, Finance Director Leigh Wallace, the City's Finance Director, began the presentation Wallace spoke on the investment policies recommended by Investment Advisors Valley View Update training component of investment officers required by state law Change Chief Financial Officer to Finance Director Add Bonwick Capital as approved dealer/broker Wallace provide the Timeline: Recommended by GGAF to Council — March 30 Preliminary adoption by Council to guide budget process — April 26 Staff updates during budget process — summer 2016 Council formally adopts policies with approved budge September 13 Wallace asked for Council's direction. Brainard said this is the biggest improvement he has ever seen in all of his years in the City. Jonrowe asked what would constitute a surplus property sale. Wallace said it would be pieces of equipment, vehicles etc. E. Presentation regarding financial trends relating to property tax, sales tax, development fees, and return on investment in preparation for the kick-off of the FY2017 Budget Process -- David Morgan, City Manager, Laurie Brewer, Assistant City Manager, Leigh Wallace, Finance Director and Paul Diaz, Budget Manager Paul Diaz, the City's Budget Manager, began the presentation. He spoke on the Economic Outlooks and Budget Initiatives. Diaz explained that there are 4 major revenue sources: Property Tax Sales Tax Return on Investment Fees for Service Diaz then showed a chart of the assed value of property tax. He explained that WCAD is projecting large growth and that the growth has been continuing. Diaz provided a pie chart of the property tax and assess value. He showed that 70% is coming from residential and explained the growth in average home values. He then showed the Preliminary Values from WCAD and explained how TIRZ values will need to be determined. Brainard asked if there is a limit on the portion of property tax growth the City can capture. Diaz said there is an 8% cap. Diaz then explained effective rate and roll back rate and the proposed tax rate. Brainard asked if there was a comparison to new construction and residential. Diaz said when coming up with figures they remove the TIRZ numbers and new construction numbers, so that they can compare apples to apples each year. Brainard asked what portion of the 8% that the City would consume this year relative to the amount last year. Diaz said this would be considered the "roll back" rate. Diaz said he does not have an exact figure but knows that it is below the roll back rate. Brainard asked what portion would be new property. Diaz said he would estimate $200 to $300 million, some in the TIRZ, but he will budget this out and provide a full understanding to Council. Diaz went on to describe sales tax next. He spoke on the process; Confidential Report from the State Put sales tax into different sectors and subsectors Use multiple trend forecasting techniques to build a "consensus in the data" Monitor all Texas cities, Top Twenty cities, and regions to see macro trends Georgetown Sales Tax: Consistency in our "core" sectors Retail, Food and Information Recurring in nature Hedge against volatility in smaller sectors One time in nature Diaz displayed a chart on Return on Investment: Represents about 20% of revenues in the General Fund Water, Wastewater, Stormwater, Irrigation & Electric Two components 3% Franchise fee 7% ROI Allows a capture both base and volume ROI Increase of 3-5% expected with the tie to growth patterns Diaz went on to speak on Fees for Service & Other Revenue and Capital Projects David Morgan, the City Manage, spoke on Key Budget Drivers and Initiatives. He gave a preview of topics to come and explained the budget workshops. Morgan explained the Budget Theme: Response to Issues of growth Implement Council goals Continue with Key Initiatives Morgan provided a growth chart and projected population for the next 5 years, based on historical growth patterns and census information. He explained that there is a projected growth of 23% by 2023. Morgan showed 774 new single family starts, 1128 in -City multi -family unit starts, 339 ETJ single family starts and 1070 new platted residential lots. Morgan showed FY2017 Growth & Key Initiatives: Transportation Improvements -2015 Road Bond Southwest Bypass construction Sidewalks and intersection improvements -Austin Avenue Bridges Outreach Process -Mays Street Extension -FM 1460 construction Park Improvements Garay Park San Gabriel Park Facilities West Side Service Center Downtown West construction Transfer Station Master Plan Fire Station 6 Utility Capital Improvements — Water and Wastewater Pecan Branch WWTP Expansion Berry Creek Interceptor Western District Line Replacements Evaluate Wastewater rates in FY2017 Budget Process Morgan then spoke on the Council Goals and presented the background. He spoke on Council Goals and Strategies. Morgan detailed the calendar and next steps. He then asked the Council if they had any questions. Mayor Ross said that there were no questions from Council because it was such a Comprehensive Presentation that Council is stunned. Brainard asked about wastewater rates. Morgan explained that it has been proposed to have the rates scheduled more consistently. Mayor Ross recessed the meeting to Executive Session under Sections 551.071 and 551.074 at 4.55 PM. Executive Session In compliance with the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551, Government Code, Vernon's Texas Codes, Annotated, the items listed below will be discussed in closed session and are subject to action in the regular session. F. Sec. 551.071: Consultation with Attorney - Advice from attorney about pending or contemplated litigation and other matters on which the attorney has a duty to advise the City Council, including agenda items - Meet and Confer Update - Appointment of temporary/substitute Deputy City Attomey/Court Prosecutor Sec. 551.074: Personnel Matters - City Manager, City Attorney, City Secretary and Municipal Judge: Consideration of the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline, or dismissal - City Manager Evaluation Adjournment Mayor Ross adjourned the meeting at 6:00 PM to open the Regular City Council Meeting. Approved by the Georgetown City Council on j 1QIA 1 D. -�LO I �D ate A L Dale Ross, Mayor Attest: Cit retary