Loading...
MIN 05.12.2003 CC-WThe City Council of the City of Georgetown, Texas, met in Regular Session on the above date with Mayor Gary Nelon presiding. ftCouncil Absent: ouneil Present: ,!Patty Eason, Gabe Sansing, Doug Smith, John „Jack Noble ;'Kirby, Farley Snell, Ken Evans Staff Present: -_--_-------- _-------_ ------ - ----- Paul Brandenburg, City Manager; Patricia Carls, City Attorney; Sandra Lee, City Secretary; Tom Yantis, Assistant City Manager; Jim Briggs, Assistant City Manager for Utility Operations; Micki Rundell, Director of Finance and Administration; Mike Mayben, Energy Services Manager Called to order at 4:02 p.m. A Joint Workshop with the Main Street Advisory Board to discuss funding methods for the Downtown Master Plan Chair Bryant Boyd, Glenda Overfelt, Joshua McClure, Bob Weimer and Liz Atherton of the Main Street Board met with the City Council to share their suggested options for funding the Downtown Master Plan, which were: 1) to earmark portions of sales taxes for new and future developments; 2) to use funds from the General Fund/street and sidewalk maintenance; 3) to use sales tax revenues from participating merchants on the square; and/or 4) to create a Tax Increment Finance zone (TIF). There was discussion, and Council generally agreed on the importance of the Downtown Master Plan, and generally agreed on a combination of using General Fund along with a TIF. B State of Georgetown Workshop - Mid -Year Review on Project Status Yantis gave Council an overview of the programs begun and/or completed by mid -year, such as: the Economic Development Incentive Program; the Downtown Master Plan; restructuring of the City Economic Development Division; construction at the Georgetown Municipal Complex and Council Chamber/Court building; utility revenue bonds and GTEC bonds; Phase 1 of the Patrol Vehicle Replacement Program; GASB 34 implementation; Civil Service implementation; 1/4 cent sales tax for street maintenance; GTEC-funded construction of Rivery Boulevard and the bridge; electric rate study; a new power contract; Pecan Branch and Cimarron Wastewater Plants operational; RFP for water and wastewater plant operations; purchase of a sewer vac -truck; grant approvals for security at the Georgetown Airport; completion of the FAR Part 150 Noise Study at the Airport; increased pet adoptions; design of a new animal shelter; adoption of the Unified Development Code (UDC); additional polling places; adoption of an annexation policy; adoption of the Future Land Use and Thoroughfare Plan and the Williams Drive Corridor Study; finalization of the Del Webb 7th Amendment; implmentation of a Public Information Program; implementation of a computer lease program; deployment of IP telephony at the new facility; completion of the website redesign; receipt of grant funds for a cataloging intern and technology coordinator at the Library; completion of mold remediation at the Library; receipt of grant funding of $750,000 for the Hike and Bike Trail; relocation of the Ropes Challenge Course; receipt of a $25,000 Kid City Grant; facilitation of the City Council Meeting Minutes/May 12, 2003 Page 1 of 3 Pages Williams Drive Corridor Study; completion of the state -mandated Report on Racial Profiling; establishment of the Homeland Security Department; and completion of the Comprehensive Traffic Management Pian. There were questions and comments from the City Council. - Issues for the 2002/03 Budget Rundell reviewed the status of "Scenario H" to eliminate the WTTB (What it Takes to Balance), saying the General Fund will be compliant in the 2003/04 Budget. Nelon noted that the overall credit rating for the City has improved. Rundell gave Council an update on the General Fund, Utility Funds, and other funds and reviewed mid -year issues. She gave Council a preview of the projected 2003-04 Budget and noted that the funds are projected to be compliant, saying there will be a request to blend the water, wastewater and irrigation funds to assist with implementation of GASB 34 and to protect the City debt coverage ratios, while still maintaining and tracking the funds individually. There were questions and comments from the City Council. Brandenburg reviewed the City Management Priorities, such as: reorganizing the Economic Development department structure; researching opportunities to outsource marketing; upgrading security systems at all City facilities; resolving fleet maintenance issues; implementing civil service requirements; creating and implementing the Transportation Improvement Plan, including the Highway 29 By-pass, the frontage roads, and the completion of the Inner Loop; creating and implementing a regional wastewater system; creating and implementing utility response to development; expanding employee compensation programs; developing a disaster recovery plan for technology systems; developing website enhancements; providing funding for library expansion within two years; updating the Airport Master Plan; constructing a new animal shelter; implementing the Long -Range Facilities Plan; developing an action plan for implementation of the Downtown Master Plan; increasing staffing to enhance parks maintenance and recreation programs; implementing a Planning Information Resource Center (PIRC); completing and implementing the Transportation Plan and the Unified Development Code (UDC); implementing year two of the GIS Plan; increasing staffing levels in the Police Department due to increased workload and call volumes; and reviewing the possibility of a centralized city-wide dispatch. There were questions and comments from the City Council. C Discussion and possible action regarding the Simon Property Group Development Agreement -- Tom Yantis, Assistant City Manager Yantis reviewed Council's motion from the May 8 Special Meeting. He said Simon Properties Group is asking for a commitment from the City, such as a resolution agreeing to the on-site, water, and road costs. There were questions and comments from the Council. Bill Hammer and Charlie Crossfield of Simon Properties were asked and responded that approximately 20 acres of the development would be sold to the anchor tenants. Yantis explained the framework and Briggs explained the utilities section of the proposed Development Agreement. Briggs also noted the transportation items to be provided by TXDOT. it was emphasized that any GTEC sales tax revenue to be spent on road improvements for the project would be from sales tax from the project itself, and the off-site utility costs would be funded through self-supporting utility revenue bonds that would be repaid with a portion of the utility revenues generated by the project. Bill Hammer of Simon Properties gave Council the background on the figures used in the agreement and explained that the proposed group of large tenants would probably not be available to smaller developers. There was discussion regarding the need to increase communication with the citizens about this project. Yantis said he has been disappointed that the turnout has been low at the previous meetings where this item has been discussed and said the slide presentation could be placed on the City website, and ads could be placed in the local newspaper to advertise the meeting on May 27, where this project would be considered by the Council. D Council Calendar - Council Workshop to set Budget Priorities on Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 5:00 p.m. in the San Gabriel Room, Georgetown Municipal Complex - GGURGil Werkshop OR Monday, May 26, 2003, at 4�00 p.m. in the SaR GabFiel RGE)rn, Georgetown (It was noted that Council had cancelled this workshop because May 26 is the Memorial Day Holiday.) - Regular Council Meeting on Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 6:00 p.m., in the San Gabriel Room, Georgetown Municipal Complex - Annual City Council Ethics Training on Monday, June 9, 2003, at the regularly -scheduled Council Workshop, at 4:00 p.m. in the San Gabriel Room, Georgetown Municipal Complex City Council Meeting Minutes/May 12, 2003 Page 2 of 3 Pages 7:07 p.m. -- recessed Open Session 7:16 p.m. -- convened Executive Session E Sec.551.071 consultation with attorney -Pending Litigation Thomas L. Suarez, Jr. vs. City of Georgetown, Texas, City of Georgetown Police Department, Georgetown Police Sgt. Kelly Devoll, Georgetown Police Officer Jack Lacey, Matt Painter, Brian Grubbs, Cause No. 03-113-C368 in the 368th Judicial District Court of Williamson County, Texas Matthew Painter and Brian Grubbs, Plaintiffs v. David Morgan, Individually and in his Official Capacity as Chief of Police of the Georgetown Police Department, Robert Hernandez, individually and in his Official Capacity as Captain of the Georgetown Police Department; Gary Todd Terbush, individually and in his Official Capacity as Lieutenant of the Georgetown Police Department, Georgetown Police Department; and the City of Georgetown, Defendants, Cause No. A03-CA-014JN, In the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, Austin Division. - Potential Litigation/Settlement Offers - Don L. Dison Complaint to FAA - Legal Advice regarding agenda items F Sec.551.086 competitive matters - City Council will go into Executive Session under Chapter 551 of the Texas Government Code to discuss matters or take action on a "competitive matter" of the Energy Services Department as provided for under Section 551.086 - Consideration of competitive matters related to staff presentation of the City's electric capital improvements projects for fiscal year 2003/2004 and the 5 -year forecast schedule — Michael W. Mayben, Energy Services Manager and Jim Briggs, Assistant City Manager for Utility Operations 8:31 p.m. -- reconvened Open Session and adjourned The meeting was adjourned at 08:31 PM. Appr yed Mayor Ory Nelon City Council Meeting Minutes/May 12, 2003 Page 3 of 3 Pages 7Attes . AlIr— 44 City Secretary Sandra Lee